Thursday, April 11, 2013

Welcome!

Hello!

If you've stumbled upon this page I'm guessing you probably entered the search terms...

Gluten Free in Paris
Gluten Free Restaurants in Paris
Can I Survive in Paris Gluten Free?

When I moved to Paris almost two years ago I didn't worry about Gluten.  I ate a crisp warm baguette every day, feasted on the finest pastry, chose anything from every glorious menu placed in front of me, and felt like crap every morning.  I can't believe it took me so long to figure out Gluten was responsible for how out of sorts I felt.  (I blamed it on the general excess of moving to a country famous for their heavy food, ridiculously amazing cheese and glorious wine, all of which I consumed in excess.) 

It took going to cooking school to figure out what was ailing me.  A month into the Basic Cuisine Course at Le Cordon Bleu something clicked and the light bulb went off.  After Basic I got rid of Gluten cold turkey and almost immediately my head cleared, my symptoms were gone and I dropped 10 lbs.  Wow.  (At this point I don't have a Celiac diagnosis, more on that in a later post.)

It was hard to give up the things I love, and I secretly have a pity list of everything I'll never be able to eat again, but I'm slowly coming to the realization that this is the New Me.  I just have to grin and bear it and make living Gluten Free as good as I possibly can.

Finishing cooking school was a trial since I couldn't taste many of the dishes I had to prepare, but it didn't kill me.  And I managed to stay healthy.  Now that I've graduated I have no freaking idea what I'm going to be when I grow up, but I do know that I'm going to live in Paris for another year and during that time I will have to eat.  And I like eating out.  And because I live by the motto Cook or Die, I will have to cook too.  Come join me as I live and eat Gluten Free in Paris.


No comments:

Post a Comment